How To Prevent An Electrical Fire

Electrical fires account for a large number of deaths each year and cause millions of dollars in property damage. There are a number of simple things that can be done by any homeowner to help prevent this.

One of the most important things would be to never overload an outlet. By connecting multiple extension cords and adapters to one another, a fire can easily be started. If you must plug in multiple items, a power strip is recommended. This is certainly true when it come to hooking up an entertainment center or computer devices.

Cords should only be used in appropriate locations and for the right device. An appliance that requires a lot of power should not be plugged into a lightweight household extension cord. Also, the cord should not be placed in an area where it can get worn or damaged.

When it comes to light bulbs and light fixtures, only a bulb with the recommended wattage should ever be used. If you use a higher wattage bulb, the light fixture can easily overheat and catch fire.

Finally, consult a professional electrician if there are concerns with the wiring in the house. Older homes may require updating and adding additional power to the electrical system.

Comments are closed.